Saturday, July 28, 2012

Review - Warhammer Battle Magic

Hey there, since I have shaky hands at the moment (fever and outer temperatures of arround 35°C aren't a good combination), I can't paint and concentrate on doing some reviews of stuff that arrived in the last few weeks. I'll start with the Warhammer Battle Magic cards from Games Workshop.
For the older of us, not to be mistaken with the old Battle Magic of the fourth edition :) 

Warhammer Battle Magic cards
Warhammer Battle Magic cards

Most of you may already know them, for those who don't, here are some information about this set.
It contains 56 cards of all the eight basic lores  the core rulebook, which are:
  1. Lore of Fire
  2. Lore of Beasts
  3. Lore of Metal
  4. Lore of Light
  5. Lore of Life
  6. Lore of Heavens
  7. Lore of Shadow
  8. Lore of Death

Covers of the 8 basic battle lores
Covers of the 8 basic battle lores

They meisure arround 11cm x 8cm and are therefore rather big. I was really surprised while unpacking them, how big they really are. They are printed on thin cardboard and seem sturdy, but for intensive usage I would suggest laminating them for protection. On one side they have really nice artworks for the lores on the other side there is the spell description including (most of the time) a small artwork and the lore attributes.

Design of the spell cards
Design of the spell cards

I really like this set, it makes playing much easier since you don't have to look up the spells everytime because they rest on the board beside your magicians. I think tournament players won't have much problems with that, but for me as casual gamer this is a big help. And for only ~7€ (or ~6GBP) there is not much you can do wrong I think.

I have to look if the special magic lores of my played armies are also available, otherwise I have to tinker them myself. I know that for Skaven there was a limited edition of magic cards.

Hope you liked this little review and perhaps it was even of a little help for you.


Stay tuned,
Paradox0n

5 comments:

  1. I ordered a pack of those back in January.. from a local supplier. However, I am still waiting on them. I know that they are good, but since I have already paid for them once, I don't plan on paying for them a second time just to not get them.

    Nice review though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In January??? OMG this is sad. I ordered mine in GB and they arrived in arround two weeks. I would raise hell and get the supplier to do his work or refund my money. Hope you get them soon!

      Delete
    2. Many emails, texts, and discussions IN PERSON, and still waiting. It is why I am at this point not supporting the local distributor and going straight to the source in UK whenever I travel over there.

      Delete
    3. This sucks :-\ Luckily in Germany you are protected by customers law against things like this and can get your money back. In Egypt this was a bit different but "the angry german" got his rights even there :-)
      I keep my fingers crossed that you get your money back (or the cards finally).

      Delete
    4. i thought you got them Mr.Lee... I had my share of difficulties getting them from the guy; but yours is a bit much :)

      as for the review, i am on the same page with you. they are handy, affordable and look good: a perfect combination.

      the only thing that bothers me about them cards is the number of the spell is not written on cards. by number, i mean, which number is a particular spell in a given lore. if you do not remember the order of the spells in a lore, you still need to check the book after you roll the dice for random spell selection.

      i wonder if it was intentional or blatantly overlooked.

      Delete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts