Saturday, July 4, 2015

The End has come - Farewell old friend!

I am so sad. Really! As it seems I finally have to say "Goodbye!" to an old friend, which was part of my gaming life (even if it was with big breaks) in the midst of the 90tis: This night the rules for Age of Sigmar, the so called successor of Warhammer Fantasy Battles came out. At least the first official glimpse with the free rules and the Warscrolls...
Even with all the rumors and those pictures of the Sigmarines I had a bit of hope left. But this is destroyed now.

I don't know what those guys/girls did take for drugs but honestly, the rules souond as if my godchild had written them, while taking some of the Space Marines from my old Starquest and doing "Pew Pew Chhhhhhhh" sounds. Honestly how can you call that a game with rules like "the count of models defines the army size you play" (as if 30 Skaven are as strong as 30 Sigmarines) and special rules like "If you do as if you ride and imaginative horse you get rerolls and if you even talk to this imaginative horse you get this and that bonus".

And the translations are also as if they where put through Google Translate or something (at least the German ones). Fluent reading not possible. Not that I would require German rules but nonetheless...

There is so much wrong in all this that I can't find words for it. Either it is a (very) late April Fool hoax or I don't know...

How convenient that the Mantic rules will be presented this week and they started a Kings of War offensive some time ago. Maybe this will be the new ruleset for all kind of Fantasy Battles in the future. I am already on that train and eagerly waiting for the Kickstarter stuff to be shipped. Maybe I then can convince my old gaming partner to give it a try, because for him WHFB was aleady dead some time ago. Otherwise my thousands of points of Dark Elves and Skaven will find a dark and silent grave again in my cellar.


What are your thoughts on the new rules? Are you happy with them? Or as disappointed as I? Please feel free to leave a comment below.


So long,
Paradox0n

5 comments:

  1. I think one of the issues occurring currently, is this is part 1, or a multi-part release. They already felt they were overwhelming with the amount of stuff they released this weekend, so held back some of it.

    I think it's too early to tell one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg, had to wait with my answer until I saw the first batreps for AoS. And to be honest: It doesn't look as if this is a game I want to play. Seems my fears have come true.

      But I will wait until the first "real" warscrolls are out and the armies are remade and the full ruleset is out. Maybe it gets better.

      Delete
    2. Part of the main issue (from my perspective), is that they are targeting the game to new players, and 40k players, not fantasy players.

      So their main audience isn't people who were playing WFB, it was people who abandoned WFB a few editions ago (many during the great daemon fiasco), new players, and 40k players.

      Thus a lot of anger and hate is flowing from the WFB crowd, and lots of praise from everybody else.

      According to LGS's, and various other sources, even WFB endtimes was only making up about 13% of the total GW sales last year (all fantasy + endtimes), so makes since they would go for a desperate gamble at a reboot, instead of trying to cater to their previous market :(.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I know the numbers and understand it from a economical reason. Nonetheless as someone who came in with 8th edition again (played already in the 90ies the 2nd and 3rd and 4th) it is quite a bummer. 5k Dark Elves and over 7k Skaven useless now :(

      My biggest problem with Age of Sigmar (for now, could change if the complete ruleset is out) is that I don't need a round base skirmish game. There I have Warmachine/Hordes which has MUCH better rules and also a huge and awesome background.

      But hey Kings of War is waiting ;)

      Delete
    4. It's my hope (and why I've held off final judgement for awhile), that as they go book to book, army to army, the ability to utilize your older models will make more sense.

      My thought is,...ok, so they redo orc are oork or what not (i forget the name). There isn't any reason you couldn't use your orc figures as "counts as" for the new ones. People do that all the time at the 40k touranments, as long as it's pretty obvious.

      I imagine a skaven mini will not change much from a new skaven mini (or whatever it'll be called now), other then one being new and really wanting to buy it, and one being older.

      Delete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts